Tony Blair Institute for Global Change
Helping leaders & governments to deliver for their people.
Focus of the Role
Are you excited by the prospect of transforming developing and emerging nations in Africa through the application of technology and innovations across public services? Do you have experience of consulting or working in the tech sector and delivering projects that drive systemic and transformative change in an emerging or developing country?
As part of TBI’s Tomorrow Partnership programme in Kenya, an exciting opportunity exists to work with relevant ministries to support the government’s ambitious plans to deploy data technologies to deliver the government’s reform agenda and food security. Reporting to the Head of Tech, the Programme Associate will collaborate with relevant ministries to implement a suite of technology products to support Kenya’s Agriculture transformation through Technology. This role will be responsible for providing support to project teams in delivery of identified priority digital use cases that are anchors for the realization of Agriculture Sector Transformation Growth Strategy (ASTGS).
This role requires an exceptional candidate with relevant expertise, subject matter knowledge, great stakeholder engagement, interpersonal skills and project management experience.
The Ag-Tech Programme Associate is a year long role, requiring an exceptional candidate with relevant expertise and subject matter knowledge.
Key outcomes of the role
- Provide support in the streamlining of the detailed work plans and implementation of the Kenya Unified Agriculture Data Platform (KUADP), including integrations with several systems in line with the enterprise blueprint.
- Support the roll out of the recently launched data governance framework across the agriculture sector to establish standards and protocols for data sharing.
- Assist with the development of concept notes for resource mobilization with development partners and support development of technical requirements for digital solutions delivering priority digital use cases linked to the KUADP.
- Work on budgets for the implementation and delivery of already identified digital use cases in line with the expected outputs within the ministry
- Coordination and preparation of workshops for projects and initiatives at the Agriculture Transformation Office in collaboration with key stakeholders across the ministry and ensure clear outcomes are delivered for the Flagship 8 Digital use cases.
- Help identify and contain risk relating to projects delivery and foster a compliance culture.
- Provide practical recommendations and solutions to complex and/or technical issues that relate to the management of projects, document lessons learnt for cross-TBI knowledge sharing and collaboration
- Provide reports and direct inputs into relevant tools for reporting dashboards as required
- Contribute to and develop written briefs for TBI Tech team and country leadership for status updates
Responsibilities for the Ag-Tech Programme Associate
- Strategy and Planning: Work closely with the embedded AgTech Advisor, Head of Tech Kenya, Country Head and key Government stakeholders to design, maintain and continually improve project plans and tools to roll-out our tech partnership in the field of Agriculture.
- Government Relations: Establish effective and trusted relationships with the Agriculture Transformation Office (ATO) while also collaborating with other key stakeholders across the ministry and agriculture sector.
- Execution and Monitoring: Ensure the implementation of Priority Digital Use cases and the Kenya Unified Ag Data Platform (KUADP) while monitoring of the project progress within schedule, budget and quality. Help identify and contain risks relating to the project’s management and foster a compliance culture. Provide practical recommendations and solutions to complex and/or technical issues that relate to the management of the projects. Report and engage with the AgTech Advisor, Head of Tech, the Country Head Kenya, and the ATO to drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot and manage the initiative across the Ministry.
- People: Work with the embedded AgTech advisor and digital transformation team to realize the stated objectives in keeping with the Ministry’s vision.
- External Relations (non-governmental): Engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, investors, other not for profit organizations, Govt. Ministries and agencies.
- One TBI: The post holder will formally report into the Head of Tech, Kenya and form part of the wider team and country programmes.
We are looking for an experienced candidate with a good understanding of the Kenyan ICT eco-system and the GoK machinery, its structures and operating environment. Prior work with the Government of Kenya is highly desirable. Additional skills and competencies required include:
- A bachelor’s degree in business management, computer Science, MIS or equivalent practical experience
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in project management in a consulting firm, foundation/NGO, or private sector organization supervising and executing across multiple workstreams simultaneously
- Experience in business operations, technology, consulting and administrative support functions;
- Experience with international development, public sector, and technology for development programming is highly desired
- Working experience in Agriculture sector and value chains is an added advantage.
- Demonstrable strength in project management, structured problem solving, top-down communication, and portfolio thinking
- A strategic thinker who can challenge the status-quo and develop plans for successful delivery of challenging objectives;
- Experience working in developing and emerging economies and sensitive to a diverse range of cultural and regional norms, and able to foster a positive spirit of collaboration;
- Who is allowed to work in Kenya.
- Ability to work under pressure and to coordinate with multi-disciplinary stakeholders
- Ability to present information in a concise, insightful and structured manner, written and oral
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills, including sound knowledge of technology solutions, project planning, and implementation
- High quality communication, drafting and presentational skills are key
- Excellent in building and managing effective relationships including the ability to navigate complex political environments
- Fluency in English required. Fluency in Swahili an advantage (oral and written)
Looking to sharpen your Project Management skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for more information