Build software faster. The One DevOps Platform enables your entire organization to collaborate around your code.
The Database Group develops solutions for scalability, application performance, data growth and developer enablement, especially where it concerns database interactions. It’s an exciting time for you to join our team as we scale our applications to meet our users’ demands. Thanks to our Transparency value, you can see what we are working on on our Database Group page. You can even see our roadmap and listen to some of our meetings.
Database Group engineers know a great deal about databases but aren’t DBAs. They contribute code and assist other teams in developing application changes to improve database performance, availability, and reliability.
Enablement, as the name suggests, is about enabling development efficiencies for our greater development community and improving our scalability story for GitLab.com. We have some lofty goals we want to achieve in the next year. We cannot do all of the work we have identified by ourselves, so we are creating tools to enable teams to implement scalable solutions. Some examples:
- Automated database migration testing
- Database Partitioning
- Reduce the total size and growth of GitLab.com’s PostgreSQL database
- Address Primary Key overflow risk for tables with an integer PK
Backend Engineer – Database – What you will do
- Develop new features in collaboration with our product management, UX, technical writing, and front-end teams.
- Iterate towards the best solution.
- Reviewing database-related changes submitted by other engineers or community contributors.
- Documenting database best practices or patterns to avoid.
- Developing tooling to proactively inform developers of potential performance issues.
- Research, design, and implement solutions to improve product performance.
Backend Engineer – Database – What you will bring
- You have significant professional software engineering experience with PostgreSQL, or another relational database, in large production environments.
- You have significant experience with Ruby on Rails or other Ruby frameworks.
- You can reason about software, algorithms, and performance from a high level.
- You are passionate about open source.
- You have strong written communication skills.
- You are able to thrive in a fully remote organization.
- You have worked within a Git-driven environment.
- You share our values and work in accordance with those values.
- Experience in a Tech startup, scale-up environment
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor.
- Product company experience.
- Experience working with a remote team.
- Experience working with a global, or otherwise multicultural, team.
- Passionate about or experienced with open source and developer tooling.
Looking to sharpen your Software Development skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started