Science & Technology
Engineering Manager – About the job
Like Google’s own ambitions, the work of a Software Engineer (SWE) goes way beyond just Search. SWE Managers have not only the technical expertise to take on and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. SWE teams work all across the company, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our exceptional software engineers are just getting started — and as a manager, you guide the way.
In this role you will be part of a first of its kind initiative for Google in Africa, by helping grow the first local Platforms and Ecosystems engineering/product/design team, building the best Android and Play products and collaborating with Search, Assistant, YouTube, and Payment create an all-encompassing experience.
Android is Google’s open-source mobile operating system powering more than 3 billion devices worldwide. Android is about bringing computing to everyone in the world. We believe computing is a super power for good, enabling access to information, economic opportunity, productivity, connectivity between friends and family and more. We think everyone in the world should have access to the best computing has to offer. We provide the platform for original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and developers to build compelling computing devices (smartphones, tablets, TVs, wearables, etc) that run the best apps/services for everyone in the world.
Engineering Manager – Minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field involving software or systems engineering, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in technical leadership, managing software engineering teams, and setting technical direction.
- Experience designing and implementing distributed systems.
- Experience with high quality product delivery demonstrating a passion for technology.
- Experience in cross-functional and cross-organizational communication and collaboration.
- Ability to establish credibility with smart engineers quickly, and provide longer term plans and motivation.
Looking to sharpen your Project Management skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started.