One of the world's leading research institutes dedicated to improving the human condition.
RTI’s International Education Division, USAID-funded Tusome Early Grade Reading Activity is designed to dramatically improve primary literacy outcomes for approximately 7 million Kenyan children in grades 1–3, by enhancing teachers’ capacity to effectively deliver classroom instruction, improving schools’ access to appropriate books and other learning materials, and providing instructional support and supervision through a network of curriculum support officers.
The Information Technology Officer will manage the use and maintenance of technology required for day to day operational support of Tusome Project staff and implementation, including first level of support Windows PCs and Windows Servers and maintain network infrastructure ISP, router, Ethernet switch and PBX phones, maintain spare parts and hardware repairs and restoration. The job function includes, but is not limited to the following responsibilities:
Essential Duties: Information Technology officer
- Sets up, maintains, and supports the IT infrastructure and equipment for H4L offices in Nairobi, Eldoret, Kisumu, Mombasa, Garissa, and Isiolo.
- Ensures Windows and other software is maintained and properly usable.
- Ensures information is backed up and maintained in accordance with RTI policies and procedures.
- Configures and trouble-shoots servers, laptops, desktops and printers.
- Work under the supervision of Senior Information Technology Specialist for daily operations as well as under the supervision of RTI ITS Africa Regional Support Manager for any technical or compliance matters.
Qualifications – Information Technology officer
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience supporting and troubleshooting a wide range of IT Infrastructure systems (Windows PCs, servers, printers, scanners, backup devices and networks or similar work environment in Kenya)
- Solid knowledge and understanding of Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and MS Office 2007/MS Office 2010 (including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Having skills and knowledge in developing and maintenance website and database system
- Demonstrated experience troubleshooting network issues.
- Knowledge of Symantec Backup Exec is considered and asset.
Skills & Abilities – Information Technology officer
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English and Kiswahili language.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- High attention to detail
- Ability to handle conflicting priorities
What do you think it takes to become an amazing tech support agent? Click here to find out. Surprisingly, you may already be on the right track.