African Economic Research Consortium (AERC)
Capacity building and informing economic policies in sub-Saharan Africa with three primary components: research, training and policy outreach.
Grade: Level 3.1
Reports to: Chief Communications & Policy Outreach Officer
Supervision: IT Administrator
Duration: 3–year term
The overall purpose of the role is to identify and implement technology IT infrastructure and solutions to support the AERC operations. The IT Specialist is expected to oversee and maintain all IT systems both on-site and remotely. The role serves as the liaison to the organization and identifies, communicates findings, and makes recommendations on all IT related matters.
IT Specialist – Activities
- Design and implement a comprehensive and sustainable IT Strategy which is in line with the AERC’s overall strategic objectives and mandate.
- Develop, review, communicate, interpret, and implement policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership and advise management on IT Developments and Policy Issues and their impact on the AERC’s operations and strategy
- Create and manage a strong IT infrastructure, cloud infrastructure, connectivity solutions and a resilient cybersecurity infrastructure.
- Assess alignment of the organization to audit processes and their expected outcomes.
- Prepare, review, and monitor the IT annual budget and operating plan to ensure effective implementation of the IT Strategy.
- Accountable for delivery, business continuity, information security, risk management and effective support of the IT infrastructure and systems.
- Maintain an IT dashboard of all significant/major IT projects’ status and schedule for implementation and support.
- Take the lead in IT client business relationship management for all internal and external stakeholders of AERC, including staff, researchers, students, workshop participants, committee members and industry regulators, etc.
- Manage the introduction of end-user capacity building to ensure optimal and efficient use of all the IT systems and tools available to the organization.
- Develop, deploy, and maintain appropriate business applications that support critical business processes to facilitate operations and decision making such as MS Navision or custom-made systems like Learning Management System, Research Management System, etc
- Develop, deploy, and maintain performance monitoring and reporting systems that provide management and technical reports for decision making and operational support.
- Management of IT service providers and vendors.
- Continuously research on IT innovations and provide business improvement opportunities for the various functions.
- Conduct IT assessments for training needs and develop training plans for all staff and capacity development for IT staff.
IT Specialist – Key Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, or any other related field.
- Professional certification such as CISM or equivalent would be an added advantage.
- Professional certification in Business Management, Project Management or related fields would be an added advantage.
- At least 6 – 7 years relevant experience.
Key Skills & Competencies
- Expert knowledge of IT Best Practices, policies, and regulations (E.g., NIST Framework).
- In depth understanding of programming and cybersecurity.
- Excellent knowledge of technical management, business process analysis and computer hardware/software systems.
- Expertise in data center management and data governance.
- Clear understanding of client/ server technology and network architecture.
- Excellent knowledge in cloud environments, systems integration and architecture.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills – ability to communicate complex information in simple and concise language.
- Good leadership and conflict management skills.
- Good customer service skills.
- A team player with the ability to work in an international and multicultural setting.
- Strong attention to details.
- Good project management skills including organizational planning, time management and priority setting.
Thinking of upgrading your Business Processing skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started.