World Vision Kenya
World Vision is a Christian relief, development and advocacy organization working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
Purpose of the position:
The Project Officer – Humanitarian Information Reporting Officer will provide technical lead in field-based IT operations pertaining to the Last Mile Mobile Solutions (LMMS) and Commodity Tracking System (CTS).
The Project Officer – Humanitarian Information Reporting Officer should communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that is an example to others.
LMMS/CTS System operation: 40%
- Oversee wireless connectivity issues between mobile devices and roaming servers in field operations, trouble shooting where necessary.
- Ensures correct functioning of LMMS in beneficiary registration, enrollment, household updates and commodity distribution activities.
- Ensure Safety of data collected in the field; maintain backups and encryption of laptop data when required.
- Support in the administration LMMS/CTS system users within the project.
- Provide systems support and report back to the field team on state of field deployments.
- Work with software developers and partners in new systems and upgrades
- Report technical failures, help to replicate problems and lead field installations with system upgrades/new releases.
- Document technical shortfalls within the existing mobile product offering and with new version releases
- Prepare LMMS/CTS reports and forward them to relevant departments within WVK and LMMS/CTS Global IT.
Documentation and Reporting 35%
- Make frequent visits to the field locations to ensure accountability.
- Collect and keep all the receipts and dispatch summary, truck inspection reports, loss reports, physical inventory, warehouse inspection report, distribution summaries and distribution center visit reports.
- Track key CWB indicators of strategic relevance from secondary and primary data available.
- Ensure real-time monitoring and appropriate data storage so that local programming data is readily available at times
- Ensure Physical inventory for all the warehouses to ensure that the commodity book balances match the actual stock in the warehouses and explanations provided for any variances.
- Review invoices and other Cooperating Partner reports
- Ensure all records are maintained as per CBTD, commodity manual and Cash transfer guidelines.
Coordination and collaboration-10%
- Work closely with the global LMMS/CTS Support personnel in all aspects of the technology readiness and rollout, in addition to providing feedback to, and receiving technical instructions from, the FAIR Coordinator on IT upgrades, maintenance and new developments
- Participate in fora of IT support staff for LMMS/CTS for sharing common experiences and troubleshooting technical challenges.
- Participate in capacity development initiatives for field staff to ensure adequate LMMS/CTS coverage.
- Support FAIR Officer to provide training to other Food Assistance staff
- Perform any other duties as required by the Project Manager or his/her designee
- Understanding of the Windows Mobile Platform desirable.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills with an attention to details
- Exposure to mobile hardware technologies (Intermec or similar products including Motorola/Symbol) desirable.
- Ability to learn new software systems and running rudimentary system upgrades.
- Ready to support end-users.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good command of English language both written and oral.
- Requires the ability to effectively present concepts to lay users in various settings and by various means (verbal and written).
- Requires strong communication skills to interact with all levels of staff and management.
- Must be able to work effectively with a diverse team.
- Requires the ability to work under pressure and on multiple tasks.
- Must have a service orientation.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
Project Officer – Humanitarian Information Reporting Officer – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in computer Science or IT or any other related course from a recognized University.
- A minimum of 2 years work experience in IT or related.
- Solid background in the Window Operating System – XP in particular. Comfortable invoking, stopping or restarting System Services, installing and uninstalling software, creating user groups and setting up user privileges.
- Solid networking skills – able to set up, securing and administer wireless ad-hoc peer-to-peer networks. Ability to isolate and troubleshoot network connectivity difficulties accordingly and through running IP configuration tools, resetting wireless connections. Understands TCP/IP protocol.
- Knowledgeable of Relational Database Management Systems – exposure to MySQL highly desirable, including the use of database management tools (such as MySQL Query Browser and Administrator).
- Ability to troubleshoot IT problems – log, track and systematically troubleshoot IT problems.
Working Environment / Conditions:
- Work environment: Office-based with frequent travel to the field
- Travel: 30% Domestic with occasional international travel.
- On call: on call to serve on emergency and crisis response
Would you like to learn more about Project Management, CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started