Instant loans to your M-Pesa account.
The Senior Backend Engineer – Markets builds and extends Tala’s backend architecture to support new country launches, new features, and fast growing user base. As a technologist and a leader, the Senior Backend Engineer pushes the team towards building a highly available, scalable, reliable, fault tolerant, and performant microservices platform. The Senior Backend Engineer – Markets follows and improves upon Tala’s engineering processes and standards while advancing Tala’s mission and business objectives. This is a technical leadership role within Tala’s technical track. You will report to the Backend Engineering Manager and collaborate cross-functionally with all Tala teams across the globe.
- Design and implement features as defined in the Product roadmap
- Review design documents, perform code reviews, and weigh in on implementation choices from other technical teams
- Collaborate and support with cross functional teams (Product, Data, Credit, and Business Development) to ship scalable software solutions
- Continually improve our codebase with clean and efficient code as well as solving problems using the most appropriate technology
- Contribute to complete migration of legacy codebase to microservices architecture
- Contribute to the testing infrastructure to increase code coverage for backend modules
- Advance monitoring and alerting capabilities of backend modules to allow proactive improvements to availability and response times
- Technically lead and mentor a team of Backend Engineers to build/extend complex modules
- 4+ years of backend software engineering experience
- 4+ years coding in one or more of the following languages: Java, Scala, Kotlin
- Developed and launched large scale consumer applications with the backend on Cloud infrastructure (AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure) using microservices architecture paradigm
- Expert knowledge in REST API design and development for mobile/web use
- Expert proficiency in Agile development process
- Excellent ability to prioritize and communicate in a fast-paced environment
- Strong relational database experience (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MS SQL)
- Strong non-relational database experience (Cassandra, Redshift, DynamoDB, HDFS)
- BS degree in Computer Science or related fields is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to interview candidates and evaluate technical skills
Looking to sharpen your Software Engineering skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for more information