Send money to people living in poverty, no strings attached. Operating in the DRC, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Morocco, Rwanda, Uganda, USA, & Yemen
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
Senior Software Engineer – Role overview
Technology will play a critical role in enabling the next generation of cash delivery: from identifying recipients without needing to knock on doors to a modern payments infrastructure that gets dollars in recipients’ hands faster and more scalably. We are seeking a software engineer to help design and build our systems for identifying, enrolling, and paying recipients.
You’ll have the opportunity to wear many hats, from driving architecture decisions to building out robust test infrastructure. Your work will directly help scale GiveDirectly’s capacity to give cash to more people, across more countries, more quickly, while maintaining a high quality recipient experience.
This role will report to the Director of Field Technology and work closely with Technical Program Management and Data teams, as well as cross-functionally with engineers on the Growth team.
Senior Software Engineer – Responsibilities
- Architect, build, and test software systems for enrolling and paying recipients, including API integrations with payments providers and other external systems
- Contribute to deployment infrastructure and devOps
- Debug issues across multiple layers of our stack
- Design, build, and run tools and automations used by the operations team and data associates to launch programs across at least seven countries
- Mentor data associates in Python automation
Senior Software Engineer – Requirements
- 4+ years of industry experience creating production-caliber software and systems
- Knowledge & experience with backend architecture: databases, cloud services, APIs
- Experience building infrastructure to deploy software
- Familiarity with strongly-typed, object-oriented programming such as Java, C#, Go, etc. and scripting languages such as Python, Ruby, etc.
- Bonus: experience with payments/financial software and/or experience with microservice/serverless architecture
- Strong analytical skills and communication – able to break down complex problems, describe trade-offs, and communicate recommended next steps
- Alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**
Looking to upgrade your Software Developing skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for information on how to get started.