We're the nonprofit that hosts @Wikipedia , working to create a world where every human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. Join the movement.
Wikimedia Enterprise is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our team, reporting to the Sr. Engineering Manager. As the Staff Software Engineer, you will be responsible for developing and executing on the long-term engineering strategy in collaboration with the product team. You will contribute heavily to the high impact challenges behind innovating, building, and maintaining Wikipedia’s data feeds for high volume re-users. In this role, you will foster cross team collaboration where necessary to address business goals, keep the team moving quickly by designing and implementing necessary tools and services, and guide the team on best practices for software engineering and infrastructure reliability.
Wikimedia Enterprise is a new, revenue-generating product that provides fast, comprehensive, reliable, and secure data ingestion for organizations that wish to repurpose Wikimedia/Wikipedia content in third party environments. Wikimedia Enterprise aims to improve the user experience for Wikimedia/Wikipedia readers beyond our own websites; increase the reach and discoverability of Wikimedia/Wikipedia content; and improve awareness and ease of attribution and verifiability of Wikimedia/Wikipedia content by the organizations that reuse our content the most. You can learn more about the project in WIRED and Insider.
We are a distributed and diverse team of engineers with a drive to explore, experiment, and embrace technologies. We act sort of like a startup within the Wikimedia Foundation: we build quickly, deploy often, and our work has a very high impact on the global knowledge ecosystem. If you are up to the challenge of working on something fast paced, of creating services that will revolutionize the systems distributing our knowledge for billions of people across the world, and enjoy the idea of working with a globally distributed team, you might be just the person we need.
You are responsible for:
- Identifying and executing on opportunities that have area/group-wide impact
- Proactively identifying and helping to refocus team’s efforts when projects are off-course or not technically feasible and results aren’t moving the needle for our business/team goals
- Designing scalable systems that work complementary to already existing ones and carve a path for easy migrations
- Mentoring and supporting less experienced developers on technical and delivery challenges
- Leading the architectural design of new services and making them operate at scale
- Incident response, diagnosis and follow-up on system outages or alerts across Wikimedia Enterprise’s production infrastructure
- Sharing our values and work in accordance with them
Skills and Experience:
- Advanced technical expertise of modern software architectures.
- Being comfortable working in a semi-ambiguous environment, and able to navigate a complex ecosystem
- Experience in supporting complex web applications running on Amazon Web Services or other comparable cloud platforms
- Experience working with Kafka or similar distributed event processing systems
- Experience working with Nodejs and Go applications
- Comfortable with configuration management and orchestration tools (ECS, Kubernetes), and modern observability infrastructure (monitoring, metrics and logging)
- Aptitude for automation and streamlining of tasks
- Comfortable with IaC (Infrastructure as code): Terraform, ansible
- Good understanding of Linux/Unix fundamentals and debugging skills
- Strong English language skills and ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent in related work experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- Able to introduce change into the organization, help others understand the business case for change, and create excitement to drive adoption of the change
- Experience with non-cloud hosted infrastructure
- Experience maintaining SLAs for customers.
- Startup experience is a plus
- Experience working with companies and movements meant to better the world is appreciated.
- Remote work experience with a highly distributed team
- We are a diverse group of people with diverse backgrounds. Empathy, understanding and receiving/giving constructive feedback is essential.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Fluency in languages other than English
- Experience with Wikimedia APIs, Mediawiki.
Looking to sharpen your Software Engineering skills to stay relevant in the market? CLICK HERE to have a look at the top schools.
For all your IT certification needs, please, click here for more information